In my 15 years of homeschooling I’ve been asked on numerous occasions to give some ideas and tips for new homeschoolers.
Here is a short list that I have made up for my new homeschooling friends.
Ten Tips For New Homeschoolers
1. Determine your motives for homeschooling. This will affect so many of your choices.
2. Read, read and read some more. You have hundreds of options available with home schooling. Look for good overviews and try not to get bogged down in the curriculum, just yet. Here are some good homeschool books to start with.
3. Network with other homeschoolers. Get to know real life homeschoolers. Try inviting another homeschool family over you might connect with and find out what they do.
4. Make a simple start. Follow a basic scope and sequence at first. As you get a feel for homeschooling you will become more comfortable with what you are doing and you can make changes along the way.
5. Get to know your children’s learning style. This will help you choose a curriculum.
6. Don’t worry about socialisation. Your children will be well socialized without the negative aspect of peer pressure and group think.
7. Don’t rush off and buy everything recommended. Get samples when possible. Resist the temptation to purchase your curriculum from the newsagent or book store. There are many homeschooling resources that will suit your needs better.
8. Be prepared to make some sacrifices. Homeschooling takes a considerable commitment for it to work, especially in the early days.
9. Try to take your focus off academics and on to establishing good habits and close family relationships. Academics will fall into place. Homeschooling is not school at home -it is a lifestyle.
10. Pray for wisdom.
Resources That Will Help You More
This is part of Week 3 Mums Encouraging Mums Blog Hop