World Masters Picture Study introduces the masters to your child in an easy to use homeschool format. Use this is your group study time as an easily accessible way to cover World Masters Picture Study.
Charlotte Mason believed Picture Study was an important part of a child’s education.
“Children from age 6 should not only be encouraged to create art, but to appreciate it also. Children will develop a comfortable fondness with what they get used to seeing and this is why we encourage children to look at excellent art… We cannot measure the influence that one or another artist has upon the child’s sense of beauty, upon his power of seeing, as in a picture, the common sights of life; he is enriched more than we know in having really looked at even a single picture. It is a mistake to think that colour is quite necessary to children in their art studies. They find colour in many places, and are content, for the time, with form and feeling in their pictures.” Charlotte Mason
Selection Of Artwork
The art works have been set out in historical periods, starting with painters from the 16th century and finishing in 20th century artists. Charlotte Mason believed that you should focus on one artist at a time and get to know their style and a few of their works. So there are at least two works from each artist. If you do 4 artists (8 pictures) per term you will complete this study in a year.
- da Vinci,
- Pieter Brueghel the Elder,
- van Gogh,
Using Picture Study In Your Homeschool
Four Easy Steps
- Select the art work from one of our pages. You can read the provided details and facts as well. Pin up and display for the week.
- Have them study the work for around 5 minutes. Telling them to look for the details because they are going to have to tell you about them.
- After the allotted time remove the picture and have them tell you about what the picture looked like. This whole exercise only takes about 5 to 10 minutes.
- If you want to spend a little more time see if they can reproduce the work (from memory) as a sketch. This is a good family activity.