SPRINGBOARDS FOR FURTHER STUDY
Downunder Passages is a language arts guide for primary.
Useful information has been provided on:
- copywork and dictation
- literary devices
You also get:
- a sample lesson planner
- some marking and assessment ideas
- a list of general punctuation rules
- a grammar and literary check list
- a list of basic spelling rules
- some Charlotte Mason grammar lessons
- a description of genres and text types.
This collection of 32 excerpts from whole or ‘living’ Australian and New Zealand literature, dating from 1769-2007 covers a range of genres and text types.
All of the quotes used are also used in the Downunder Copywork Series.
- classic fiction
- nature study
- explorers’ journals.
A Flexible Resource That Can be Used With Any Curriculum
Downunder Passages -Text, Punctuation, Grammar and Spelling Guide can be used:
- as a standalone resource
- as a complementary teaching resource to the Downunder Copywork Series.
- to complement an existing curriculum that needs some Australian and New Zealand content
- to add variety to language arts lessons.
Dictation lessons can be done:
- once a week. One lesson per week will take you through one school year.
- ‘ad hoc’ (when you feel like it).
Who Should This Guide?
This is not a graded text because dictation can be used regularly from 4th grade onwards.
With one passage multiple ages can be taught.
Passages are presented in a large font which makes it suitable for copywork for younger children.
Dictation exercises are aimed to suit Year 4 – 8 (Ages 9-14).
Covering The Australian Curriculum
- Basic spelling and punctuation rules are used when reproducing different texts.
- Vocabulary is increased with exposure to different texts.
- Produces texts clearly, effectively and accurately, using the sentence structure, grammatical features and punctuation conventions of the text type.
- Uses knowledge of letter-sound correspondences, common letter patterns and a range of strategies to spell familiar and unfamiliar words.
- Variety of text types used using Australian literature .
PDF ebook: 64 pages
Recommended Age: Ages 9 to 13
Curriculum Suggestion: Year 4 to Year 6