A crafty resource for teaching about democracy, the Australian flag and the symbols of Australia in a hands on way.
The flag has within its symbols the roots of Australia’s British heritage of democracy through the Westminster system of Government.The Australian Flag and what that means is an easy place to begin teaching Civics and Citizenship.
Your child will learn about:
- The Christian symbolism of the Union Jack
- What the stars on the Australian flag represent
- How should the Australian flag be displayed
- State and territory flags
- An Australian Flag Poem
- Key values of democracy
The ebook has easy to follow steps with relevant web links, and all the images and paper templates you will need.
Children will have an educational keepsake that they can show-off and be proud of.
Assembly is simple all you need to add is:
- a manila folder,
- colouring-in pencils.
Covering the Australian Curriculum
This resource can be used as part of your history and geography studies in Year 3 & 4. It can also form a part of your Civics & Citizenship studies for year 3 & 4 when used with the Australian Flags and Emblems Book.
“In Years 3 and 4 children develop an understanding of democratic practices, government, roles and responsibilities, laws, rules and identity. ” Draft Year 3-10 Australian Curriculum: Civics and Citizenship – May 2013
- identifies and describes symbols of significance to Australians
- understands how Australia can be represented in terms of states and territories
- identifies the key values of democracy
- identifies the importance of Australian Aboriginals & Torres Strait islander’s flag.
This resource is also a part of the Australian Lapbook Set.