World Homeschool Geography Resources You Might Like
Here is a round-up of our 5 days of world homeschool geography ideas. These resources are for studying the world and not for all aspects of geography such as nature study and environmental issues. For more geography ideas look here. You can see more ideas on high school geography curriculums here.
- Pleasant Talk of Places – A geography resource for 6 to 10 year olds that discovers the continents with maps and books.
- Geography DVD’s – I know I’ve already talked about these but I highly recommend you add these to your homeschool geography resources.
- Maps – Should be a part of your homeschool geography resources. Pictorial, political and topographical maps can all be used. If you are reading a travel book please take the time to look up the location on a map. And don’t forget to use the map markers.
- Atlas – We like the National geographic World Atlas as it has interesting facts that capture a child’s imagination. A good atlas can often be found in second-hand stores. Another essential for your homeschool geography resource collection.
- Notebooking Pages – Notebooking not worksheets are perfect for the panoramic geography method.
- Living Books on Geography – read how we failed and what worked for us.
- Literary Geography Textbooks
Exploring the World Around You: A look at nations from the tropics to the Tundra by Gary Parker – it has a quiz after each chapter
A Child’s Geography by Ann Voscamp – This book is popular with homeschoolers. I haven’t used it but many love it (or hate it). Read some reviews to help you make up your mind..
Welcome to The Wonderful World of Geography by Brenda Runkle – It covers world geography from a physical geography emphasis but it will still take you around the world as they cover rivers, the atmosphere etc.
Hopscotch 5 Days Sharing On Homeschool Topics
This is last part of my five day series Around the World in 5 Days – homeschool geography. Check out the schedule and follow along.
- Monday – Maps and Map Markers
- Tuesday – Good story telling geography DVDs
- Wednesday – Living Books Geography – my book failures and some recommendations
- Thursday – Panoramic Geography Method – Pulling together your geography curriculum Charlotte mason style
- Friday – Geography Resources you might like.
Hopscotch page Visit the ihomeschool network for a list of more interesting topics by homeschool blogging mums.