Homeschool Curriculum Guide Grades / Years – Australia
When you homeschool you do not need to stick to strict grades however it is good to still have a loose homeschool curriculum guide. It is often easier to teach your children together for a range of subjects. However when you are following the Australian Curriculum it has been set out in Years/Grades or Stages.
It is perfectly acceptable to fiddle with the sequencing of teaching certain subjects. Flexibility is written into the curriculum and topic sequence is at the teacher’s discretion.
“Teachers will continue to have the flexibility to make decisions about the sequence of learning, the emphasis to be given to particular areas of content, and any adjustments required based on the needs, interests and abilities of their students.” NSW BOSTES .
Australian Homeschool Curriculum Guide – Stages and Stage Statements
The Australian Curriculum, and other state syllabuses, list their outcomes (or goals) as per stage or grade. Each stage has an overview of the outcomes and they are provided in their stage statements. Reading through these will give you a general overview of the Australian Curriculum.
The Homeschooling Downunder’s homeschool curriculum guides have been written with these stages in mind.
“I really must also thank you for your curriculum guides, they have been invaluable. I don’t know what I would do without them. Thank you for putting them together. I also love the links to book lists. They have made my life so much easier. Your website in general is just wonderful!!!!” Sheriden – 2017
NSW Stages usually last for a period of 2 years (or 3 ).
- Stage One: Kindergarten/Foundation to Year 2 – Age 5 to Age 8
- Stage Two: Year 3 to Year 4 – Age 8 to 10
- Stage Three: Year 5 to Year 6 – Age 10 to 12
- Stage Four: Year 7 to Year 8 – Age 12 to Age 14
- Stage Five: Year 9 to Year 10 – Age 14 to Age 16
- Stage Six: Year 11 to Year 12 – Age 16 – Age 18
Sample Yearly Homeschool Planning Forms
(editable forms available with Pretty Homeschool Planner.)
These are examples of how you could fill them in:
- Kindergarten Homeschool Planning Form
- Year One Homeschool Planning Form
- Year Two Homeschool Planning Form
- Year Three – Four Homeschool Planning Form
- Year Five – Six Homeschool Planning Form
- Year Seven – Eight Homeschool Planning Form
Homeschooling Downunder Scope & Sequence Product Guide
This is a general scope and sequence for Homeschooling Downunder’s products. This is not a complete curriculum. This scope and sequence fits with the Australian Curriculum for primary.
Primary – Foundation to Year 6