Sharing ideas, teaching tips and resources for the homeschool journey.
Holistic literature based English lessons that offer variety and challenge.
Emma Serl’s Language Lesson Series is an all-in-one English programme for Year 2 and 3.
It combines spelling, dictation, narrations, picture study, observation, poetry, writing, and grammar into one easy to follow resource.
"I have used a few language arts curriculums over the years and none seem to fit just right BUT Primary Language Lessons comes pretty close. This is a simple straightforward curriculum that cuts out the busy work and gets children writing, reading and thinking." Michelle
Here are some other comments by homeschool mothers when describing this resource:
Combining different grade students for teaching is an additional bonus when using this resource. I have taught my advanced Year One child and Year Three student simultaneously and they have enjoyed learning together and comparing notes.
• variety so your child won’t get bored
• short lessons so you can work at your child’s pace
Originally written in 1911, this language arts resource has remained popular because of its holistic literature based lessons. This version has been updated and includes Australian literature and spelling.
This resource covers the three strands of the Australian National curriculum. It has:
1. Literature (Reading) Lessons - Copywork, dictation and narration lessons are based on good models and excellent literature (including Australian literature).
2. Literacy (Writing) Lessons - Spelling, grammar and punctuation is taught in context with usage. Drill on correct forms of speech and words are given. Composition exercises are often connected to the previous lessons giving children ideas to write about. Daily copywork can be added for extra handwriting practice.
3. Language (Speaking, Listening and Viewing) Lessons - Oral observation lessons, picture study and poetry are also used to encourage vocabulary building and thinking and speaking skills.
Use our outcomes list a checklist for your records
Stage One English Outcome Use for Year Two
Stage Two English Outcome Use for Year Three to Four
At the beginning of this ebook we have extended the teacher’s suggestions to give you confidence and make teaching this resource simple. All of the lessons are self explanatory and you can just pick up the book each day and start the lesson.
You don't need to buy any other books or read alouds to go with this resource. The relevant passages are all provided within this resource. All you need is a notebook (or exercise book) for your lessons.
Author of Design Your Own Classical Curriculum suggests that this is her preferred English lessons program. She suggests that you make it work for you, don't be afraid to skip lessons that may not interest your child.
There are 160 lessons in the ebook.
You will need to allocate approximately 20 minutes, two to three times a week, for 30 weeks of the year to finish this resource in 2 years.
If you want to work through the resource faster this is also achievable. When your child easily masters a lesson you can do a few lessons at a time. Your child will not be rushed—you set the pace.
After finishing Primary Language Lessons you can commence Intermediate Language Lessons.
This language arts resource has proved its worth.
Buy now and start tomorrow.
Suitable to use for grades 2-3.
119 Pages PDF ebook
File size 1.2 MB
Mac and Windows Compatible